Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United sold out after news of takeover
In a statement released by the club (h/t Daily Mail), Newcastle United have managed to sell all of their tickets for the first time this season in their fixture against Tottenham Hotspur amidst excitement over the new owners.
The Magpies are currently 19th in the Premier League table. Former owner Mike Ashley and current manager Steve Bruce have been condemned in recent times for lack of better results. This may be one of the factors that led to the takeover but it seems as though there is a new wave of hope amongst the Newcastle faithful.
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund will own 80 percent of Newcastle, with British businesswoman Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers equally sharing the remaining 20 percent. There seems to be a wave of jubilation going around St. James’ Park as the fans are trying to get in on the action.
Former players like Rob Lee, Shay Given, and Warren Barton have expressed their enthusiasm regarding the takeover. This could be a great opportunity for the Magpies to turn a new leaf in their recent footballing history and become a force to be reckoned with across England.
🎟 𝗦𝗢𝗟𝗗 𝗢𝗨𝗧 🎟— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) October 8, 2021
Tickets for our first game under new ownership against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, 17 October are now sold out.
Thank you for your support! ⚫️⚪️
There seems to be a stark contrast back at Tottenham Hotspur as the fans and ‘supporters trust’ have shown their unhappiness at the current ownership of the North London club.
Fabio Paratici has helped bring in some players ever since his arrival but it feels like Nuno Espirito Santo and his men are still finding the right balance as highlighted by their recent results in the PL.
The new ownership of Newcastle could also mean that the Lilywhites may also have the headache of dealing with a new footballing force in England.
With all of the hustle and bustle surrounding the takeover club legend Alan Shearer has also made his thoughts known about the larger issues in Saudi Arabia. He writes about this in his column in The Athletic (Subscription Required) [h/t Daily Mail]
‘We owe it to ourselves and the wider world to listen to the evidence about human rights abuses in Saudi, to educate ourselves and know what we’re getting into.’
More Tottenham Hotspur News
- Transfer News: Tottenham still keen on signing 28-year-old defender from arch-rivals amidst contract uncertainty
- “It’ll be easier”- Tottenham’s £22.5m summer signing makes admission about early struggles in England
- Transfer News: Tottenham poised to make a move for 28-year-old Ligue 1 striker next summer
This takeover could bring more pressure on all of the top clubs in England, especially Tottenham Hotspur who are trying to regain their consistency and fight for different titles through the campaign.
Any huge change will require a significant amount of time and resources and the Spurs supporters will be hoping that their team will be able to put on a spirited performance against a packed crowd at St James’ Park.