Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has denied that Chelsea have made a new bid for Luka Modric while reiterating his desire to keep hold of the diminutive playmaker.
Modric has been subject to intense speculation regarding a move to the Blues all summer, who have already seen two bids of £22m and £27m knocked back.
Reports suggesting they have returned with a third bid have, thus far, proved untrue but rumours continue to link the 25-year-old with the White Hart Lane exit door.
Chairman Daniel Levy and Redknapp have been forced to continuously deny that the Croatian isn’t for sale, although that stance softened somewhat last week after the Spurs manager admitted he could use the funds generated by improve the squad before the close of the transfer window.
Modric missed the 3-0 defeat to Manchester United last night with Redknapp claiming his ‘head wasn’t right’ and has, as of yet, not played a competitive game for the club after sitting out the 5-0 win over Hearts last week.
“Luka has a bit of a hamstring and doesn’t feel he is 100 per cent fit, but I won’t lie to you his head isn’t right at the moment,” Redknapp told Sky Sports News.
“He is a great lad but is just a bit confused about where he is at the moment in his football career.
“For me the quicker the transfer window closes and we can get on with Luka being here the better it is for everybody.
“I’ve not heard of another bid [from Chelsea]. When they signed [Juan] Mata I thought that might be the end of it but people tell me they are looking still to bring Luka in and really strengthen their team.
“I can well see them looking to chase Luka but we really want to keep him here and add one or two players to our squad to make us stronger.”
Redknapp again insisted that, contrary to reports, the player wasn’t on strike and entertained the idea that Modric may play some part against Hearts on Thursday night, a move that would make him ineligible to play in any other European competition this season.
“I don’t think he’s played his last game for us,” the Tottenham manager added.
“I want him to play for us against Manchester City on Sunday, he’s a good player and we need him out there for us.
“We’ve got Hearts on Thursday too and I’d love to get a game into him.”
Redknapp also confirmed that talks were still ongoing between both Spurs and Manchester City in regards to Emmanuel Adebayor but admits that a deal is far from completed.
“The chairman has been talking to City [about Adebayor], but I’m not sure where we are at,” he said
“I think it’s a great deal as he can come in and show everyone what a good player he is and it would be a great signing for us.
“The chairman runs the club well and won’t put us into trouble by paying what we can’t afford, but if you want top players they want top wages.
“It’s all about wages these days, if they get their money you have a chance of getting them but they don’t come cheap.
“I think we’re close to getting a couple in, but we need to shift one or two as we have a lot of players. We just lack that extra bit of quality you need if you want to keep pushing on and pushing for a top-four finish again.
“If we can do that and keep Luka then we’re going to be strong again this year.”